Transform Your Trip While We Transform 66
Construction is underway to transform 22.5-miles of I-66 Outside the Beltway, from I-495 to near Route 29 in Gainesville. Major road work will continue until late 2022, when the new express lanes are expected to open. To ensure that drivers and workers are safe while construction is happening, travel lanes must be closed, shifted and sometimes narrowed. These constraints, added to a roadway that carries more than 180,000 vehicles on a typical weekday, can cause disruptions, delays and inconveniences for travelers.
To help commuters and other travelers keep moving through construction, VDOT is providing new transit and commuter options along the I-66 corridor. VDOT is partnering with local governments and transportation providers to offer a range of alternatives to driving alone, such as half-price bus fares, new bus service, vanpool incentives and telework programs for employers. These new options can help keep commuters mobile during construction.
You’ve Got Options
Take the Bus
Taking the bus on I-66 during construction is more affordable with half price bus fares through 2020. Begins May 7, 2018.
- Half-price fares are available on Omniride I-66 bus routes from Gainesville and Manassas. Click for commuter bus information and schedules.
- Ride for $1 on select Fairfax Connector bus routes that operate on I-66 with access to the Vienna Metro. Click here to learn more about eligible bus routes and other Fairfax County commuter programs.
- Commuter bus service from Front Royal and Linden park and ride lots to Washington, DC. Daily commuter bus service launched in June, with stops at Rosslyn Metro, Metro Center, and L’Enfant Plaza. Work or relax during your commute with wi-fi, charging stations, comfortable seats, and restrooms aboard the coach bus. The service is sponsored by VDOT and the Northern Shenandoah Valley Regional Commission and is eligible for transit subsidies. Learn more and purchase tickets at ridesmartva.org.
Form a Vanpool
Starting or joining a vanpool with other commuters traveling on I-66 is more affordable during construction. Incentives for people creating new vanpools on I-66 include:
- $200-per-seat subsidy (prorated over four months)
- $350 gas card incentive for operators of 10+passenger vans on I-66
- Free SmartTrip Cards with a preloaded subsidy for I-66 vanpool riders
Vanpool Alliance, the region’s vanpool formation resource, can help commuters find and join a vanpool, and can provide more information on how to benefit from starting or joining an I-66 vanpool during construction. Learn more here.
Start a Carpool
The region’s Commuter Connections’ Pool Rewards program provides up to $130 for new carpoolers through a trip-tracking process. Commuters who start a three-person carpool on I-66 through 2020 can receive an additional $100 cash reward. These carpools are also eligible for Commuter Connections’ Guaranteed Ride Home program. Visit Commuter Connections for more information and to sign up. Begins May 2018.
Avoid commuting altogether by working remotely or teleworking. Check with your employer to learn about telework options. For employers interested in establishing a telework program, Virginia’s Telework!VA program provides technical advice, on-site assistance, and financial incentives. The Transform 66 project has boosted the financial incentive with a new subsidy of up to $10,000 for Northern Virginia employers within the greater I-66 corridor establishing a program that creates at least 10 new teleworkers. Interested employers should call 1-866-469-1010 or visit Telework!VA. Begins May 2018.
Local governments across Virginia have their own long-standing programs and expertise helping employers and residents with their commutes. In Northern Virginia, that includes Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William counties.
Know Before You Go
Staying informed about construction and knowing about planned lane closures and traffic changes ahead of time are the best tools available for staying mobile during construction. Travelers are encouraged to look for construction information: