As construction progresses on I-66 Outside the Beltway, VDOT and its project partners, I-66 Express Mobility Partners and FAM Construction, have increased efforts to monitor and address pavement conditions.
Roadway maintenance focuses on pavement conditions in areas where new lane markings are in place and where potholes have formed. Wet weather conditions increase the number of potholes on the roadway, cause some repairs to not hold up, and limit crews' ability to make repairs.
The project team has taken the following steps to bolster its ongoing pavement repair efforts:
- Milling and repaving significant sections of roadway along portions of I-66
- Refreshing lane markings using thermoplastic paint for increased reflectivity
- Patrolling road conditions daily and identifying areas requiring immediate attention
- Expanding work hours to conduct repairs
What Can Drivers Do?
- Stay alert: Pay attention and leave adequate following distance, so that you'll see and can avoid any roadway hazards.
- Slow down: Reduce travel speed while traveling through the I-66 project corridor to keep yourself and our crews safe.
- Report problems: If you encounter a pothole or other roadway hazard, when it is safe to do so:
- Call VDOT at 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623)
- Email Transform66 project team at Transform66@VDOT.Virginia.gov
- If it's an immediate hazard, call Virginia State Police at #77
Roadway Repair Activities
Crews continue efforts to repair potholes, refresh lane markings, and address other roadway conditions as weather allows. Work generally consists of:
- Hand-filling potholes in targeted areas using multi-lane closures;
- Milling and re-paving of targeted areas using multi-lane closures;
- Spray patching potholes across the corridor with mobile lane closures;
- Mobile lane closures to repaint lane striping and other markings.