Major redesign and construction are planned for the Nutley Street Interchange as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The new interchange will:
- Provide safer, more efficient travel for vehicles entering and exiting I-66 East and West
- Improve safety for vehicles and pedestrians traveling on Nutley Street
- Connect the new grade-separated shared-use path with planned bicycle and pedestrian improvements around the Vienna/Fairfax/GMU Metrorail station and a shared-use path being built into the Town of Vienna
A new design alternative – a double roundabout – will be constructed at this interchange as an alternative to the diverging diamond interchange (DDI) included in the initial project design. The project team held a community meeting in Vienna in June 2019 to discuss and get feedback on the design change, which will improve safety and traffic flow on Nutley Street while reducing construction impacts for drivers and project neighbors compared to the DDI design. Learn more about this design change by viewing the meeting handout, presentation, and display boards.
Express Lanes access to and from the west will be available at new ramps that will be constructed at Vaden Drive, just west of the Metrorail station.
Changes to Nutley Street Access to I-66 West Through July 2022
Drivers heading from Nutley Street North and South to I-66 West will use new turn lanes and a traffic signal to reach a temporary ramp through July 2022 while construction of the redesigned Nutley Street and I-66 Interchange continues.
As part of this temporary traffic pattern:
Nutley Street North and South to I-66 West
- The current ramp from northbound Nutley Street to westbound I-66 and the current temporary ramp from southbound Nutley Street to westbound I-66 will both close.
- From southbound Nutley Street, drivers will access I-66 West by turning left at the traffic signal onto a new ramp that will merge into the current loop ramp from northbound Nutley Street to I-66 West (see graphic below).
- From northbound Nutley Street, drivers will access I-66 West by continuing a short distance beyond the current entrance to the loop ramp to I-66 West, then turning right at the traffic signal to reach the loop ramp (see graphic).
- Drivers traveling from northbound Nutley Street to westbound I-66 should be alert for southbound Nutley Street traffic merging onto the ramp from the left.
- Two travel lanes will continue on north- and southbound Nutley Street through the interchange.
Permanent Loop Ramp Open at Nutley Street/I-66 Interchange
Ramp from Nutley Street South to I-66 East
- The loop ramp from Nutley Street South to I-66 East is open on the right side of the roadway near the location of the previous loop ramp, which was closed in June 2020.
- Drivers on Nutley Street South will no longer be able to make a left turn at the temporary traffic signal to reach I-66 East.
Temporary Traffic Pattern Changes from I-66 East and West to Nutley Street Still in Effect
Drivers exiting I-66 West to Nutley Street North and South will continue using a temporary ramp which opened in February 2021. (The old loop ramp from I-66 West to southbound Nutley Street closed in July 2020.). All traffic heading to Nutley Street will use the same ramp for northbound and southbound travel. Drivers heading to southbound Nutley Street will use a temporary traffic signal to turn left onto Nutley Street South. The old I-66 West to Nutley Street North ramp has been closed and replaced with a new ramp located slightly after (west of) the current exit.
Drivers access northbound Nutley Street by using the new exit ramp, then staying to the right.
Drivers access southbound Nutley Street by using the new ramp, staying to the left, then turning left at a temporary traffic signal.
The I-66 East to Nutley Street North Loop Ramp Closed in November 2020
- Drivers access Nutley Street North by taking the current exit from I-66 East to Nutley Street South, stay to the left to use a temporary ramp, then turn left at a temporary traffic signal onto northbound Nutley Street.
- Access from I-66 East to southbound Nutley Street and Saintsbury Drive/Vienna Metrorail Station remains unchanged.
- Drivers traveling on Nutley Street should remain alert for changes in signal timing to allow traffic to turn onto Nutley Street North.
Learn more >
Construction Update (Updated May 18, 2022)
Recent Construction Progress:
- Travel lanes of Nutley Street North and South over I-66 were shifted to the west side of the bridge on May 18
- Temporary access change in place for traffic from Nutley Street South to I-66 West to allow shared-use path construction
- Permanent loop ramp from Nutley Street South to I-66 East is open
- Temporary traffic signals are in place for traffic from I-66 West to Nutley Street South, and from I-66 East to Nutley Street North
Upcoming Construction Activities:
- Additional traffic shifts on Nutley Street will occur during 2022 to support construction activities
Aerial view of the Nutley Street area. (March 22, 2022)
What Neighbors Can Expect
- Clearing has occurred around the interchange and along portions of I-66
- Construction activities began in 2020
- Project emails and website will be used to communicate major traffic switches or nighttime work
What Drivers Can Expect
- Travel lanes on I-66 have been shifted to allow paving and other work along the shoulders.
- Traffic shifts, ramp closures, utility relocation, and other changes began on Nutley Street in 2020. More substantial work began at the interchange in 2021 following construction of all temporary ramps. Sign up for project email updates to keep up to date
- Drivers should slow down, stay focused, and be alert for new traffic patterns and construction crews.
|Clearing activities begin
|Traffic shifts on I-66 near Nutley Street
|Traffic shifts on Nutley Street and ramps
||June 2020 to February 2021
|Express Lanes open
|Nutley Street Interchange Design Meeting Flyer - PDF, 721KB
|Nutley Street Interchange Design Meeting Presentation - PDF, 998KB
|Nutley Street Interchange Design Meeting Handout - PDF, 21.MB
|Nutley Street Interchange Design Meeting Boards - PDF, 7MB
|Nutley Street Interchange Design Meeting Comments - PDF, 164KB
|Construction Update Meeting on September 4, 2019 Flyer - PDF, 1.3MB
|Nutley Concept Plan - PDF, 14.5MB
|Vaden Drive Bridge closure poster 24 x 36 - PDF, 1.9MB
|Vaden Drive Bridge closure poster 36 x 24 - PDF, 1.7MB